Wednesday 29 December 2010

Evaluation Question 4

Evaluation Question Four: How did you attract/address the audience for your music publication? 


An important part of my magazine is the audience I attracted, which including using certain things such as; typography and images.

The first thing I took into consideration was the typography, as the Masthead is the first thing the reader looks at, making it extremely important. I chose a simple, but 'fun' font as that is what the genre of Pop is highly associated with. I chose the colour black as it can't be associated with a certain gender, making it unisex. Also, it stands out against the grey background. Furthermore, the text is curvy attracting the female audience, but also has some strong, sharp edges which draw in more of the male readers. An earlier blog entry explains in further detail why I chose to use the font, and other designs. CLICK HERE. I used various different fonts varying in styles as to reduce gender inequality and make it appealing to older teenagers.

Another important feature of my magazine was the image I chose to use on the front cover. My main image on the front cover was of my girl band 'The Plastics' who put the edge in Pop. Unlike stereotypical girl bands who are normally seen in dresses/skirts and heels, they each have their own style making them original. For example, one of the girls had a black vest top, white cardigan, beige leggings and biker boots, whereas another had jeans, black top, a colourful scarf and biker boots. Not only does this make them original, it is also the type of clothing older teenagers 16-19 dress in today making them relate to them more than the airbrushed, 'perfect' celebrities. Furthermore, this more attracts the male audience, as don't look too 'girly' and males are more likely to buy a magazine with an image of females on the cover, as they may feel people would question their sexuality if they did otherwise.  To find out more about the images I used, CLICK HERE.

Thirdly, I used a competition as a way of addressing my audience: 'WIN! Tickets to see CANDY LANE on tour!'. As 16-19 year olds aren't likely to earn a lot of money to waste, as they believe they have a chance of winning something making it free, this means they are getting more for their money and also competitions are seen are fun things to take part in. The more competition and freebies a magazine includes, the more readers it  is most likely to draw in.

No comments:

Post a Comment